4K Full-Frame 10.2MP CMOS Exmor R Sensor
DCI 4K60p | UHD 4K120 | 1080p240
15+ Stops of Dynamic Range in S-Log 3 EI
Compact Form Weighs Just <2 lb
Phase Detection AF/Face Tracking/Eye AF
Base 800-12,800 ISO / 320-409,600 Max
S-Cinetone, S-Log3, HLG Modes
10-Bit 4:2:2 XAVC-I/16-Bit Raw Output
Dual CFexpress Type A/SDXC Card Slots
As part of Sony’s Cinema Line, the FX6 shares key imaging features with established cameras like the VENICE and FX9. Common core attributes include a full-frame sensor, filmlike color science, a compact, lightweight form, professional connector interfaces, and advanced autofocus choices.
Compared to the FX9, the FX6 differs in several specs; but many FX6 specs tick the same boxes and several improve upon the FX9:
- It matches the FX9’s video capture up to DCI 4K60
- Has the same S-Cinetone, S-Log3, and HLG gamma choices
- Outputs 16-bit raw like the FX9
- Sony E lens mount
- Offers the same 1/4 to 1/128 ND options
- Also provides 2-channel XLR audio inputs
FX6 differences from the FX9:
- 4K capture vs 6K
- Has a single 12G/6G/3G-SDI BNC port, trimming the FX9’s additional 3G-SDI port
- Incorporates a timecode port but lacks the FX9’s genlock connector
Improved FX6 specs include:
- An ISO range of 320 to 409,600 vs the FX9’s 320 to 102,400 range
- Top frame rates of 120p in 4K and up to 240p in HD vs the FX9’s top 1080p in HD
- Dual card slots compatible with both durable, highly efficient CFexpress Type A or widely available SDXC cards, compared to the FX9’s reliance on proprietary XQD cards and a single SD card option
4K FULL-FRAME CMOS EXMOR R SENSOR
The FX6’s 10.2 MP image sensor features back-side illumination for excellent low-light performance, 627 focal plane points for speedy phase-detection autofocus, and full-frame lens compatibility that produces a rich, immersive look. The sensor’s fast scan speed minimizes rolling shutter artifacts and supports high frame rates and quick autofocus responses.
The Exmor R sensor also enables the FX6 to capture a whopping 15+ stops of dynamic range in Cine EI mode with S-Log3, creating nuanced, high-resolution images.
Choose from a base ISO of 800, a high-sensitivity 12,800 ISO for lower-light capture, and a 409,600 maximum ISO for true low-light settings.
ELECTRONICALLY VARIABLE ND FILTERS
Set the FX6’s integrated neutral density (ND) filter system to auto for correctly exposed shots even in changing light conditions, or smoothly adjust the ND filter density manually in increments from 1/4 to 1/128 as you shoot; both options will produce properly exposed images without affecting your chosen depth of field.
ADVANCED XAVC CODEC OPTIONS
The FX6 is the first compact, full-frame camera to offer UHD 4K 4:2:2 capture in the high-quality yet efficient XAVC-I codec. It also enables you to choose from a range of professional XAVC Intra and XAVC Long codecs at bit rates ranging from 35 to 600 Mb/s.